Small Boat Technician (USPS,Mechanical Trades Technician)
To Apply, visit jobs.fsu.edu – Job ID (position) = 45873. Deadline to apply is midnight 2nd of September 2019
The FSUCML seeks a small boat technician to assist the primary boat captain with service of the small boat
fleet (shown here https://marinelab.fsu.edu/marine-operations/small-boat-fleet/).
Primary responsibilities include
(1) daily service, maintenance, and repair (and records thereof) of outboard engines, boats, trailers, safety equipment, and dock area, submitting all receipts for supplies and equipment to the budget manager;
(2) collecting user float plans before user departure, and turning in the completed plan to administrative personnel responsible for billing upon user return; and
(3) conducting radio checks with users before departure and maintaining radio communication with users operating in the FSUCML area.
(4) daily maintenance of boat shop and tool inventory and for maintaining effective relationships
with small boat vendors and users.
(5) contributes to other marine operation detail as assigned onboard the R/V Apalachee (e.g., helping with
maintenance and repair, participating as crew on research cruises) and the Dive Program (e.g., helping the
Diving Safety Officer with maintenance and repair of diving equipment and equipment sign out by users).
(6) serves as part of the on-call duty team rotation for after hours and weekend facility rounds and emergency purposes, with other duties as assigned that relate to FSUCML operations.
- AAUS scientific diver certification
- USCG Master 100 endorsement, which allows operation of vessels up to 99 GRTs.
- High school diploma or equivalent and 2 years of experience or a combination of post high school education and experience equal to 2 years.
- Experience in the maintenance and repair of boats and engines.
- Ability to identify safety hazards and to ensure a safe work environment in and around boats, the shop, and the dock.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing with staff, faculty, students, and vendors.
- Knowledge of applicable computer applications and basic computer functions, including Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Ability to meet the physical requirements of the position to include repeated bending, lifting up to 50 lbs, climbing, and working in hot environments.