Tallahassee, FL, June 6, 2013 – Tropical Storm Andrea is slated to move over north Florida throughout the day and into tomorrow. We will still see rain from that system over the next couple of days. Already saturated areas might experience flooding over the next few days. Below are some tips to staying safe during floods.
If your residence is in a flood-prone area:
- Fill bathtubs, sinks, and plastic bottles with clean water. Water may become contaminated or service may be interrupted.
- Bring outdoor belongings, such as patio furniture, indoors.
- Unsecured items may be swept away and damaged by flood waters.
- Move your furniture and valuables to higher floors of your home. If flood waters affect your home, higher floors are less likely to receive damage.
- If you are instructed by local authorities, turn off all utilities at the main power switch and close the main gas valve. In some areas, local authorities may advise you to turn off utilities to prevent further damage to homes and the community.
- Get your preassembled disaster supplies ready. You may need to act quickly. Having your supplies ready will save time.
- Fill your car’s gas tank, in case an evacuation notice is issued. If electric power is cut off, gas stations may not be able to operate pumps for several days.
- Be prepared to evacuate. Local officials may ask you to leave if they truly feel your home is at risk from flood waters.
What to Tell Children:….Red Cross