Continue on the Byway route along SR 267. The Bethel Historic Site, consisting of an old church and cemetery, is at the intersection with Spring Creek Highway (SR 365). At the signaled intersection with Crawfordville Highway (US 319), you may wish to try one of the following side trips:
Side Trip: Leon Sinks Geological Site, Apalachicola National Forest
Directions: From the intersection of Bloxham Cutoff (SR 267) and Crawfordville Highway (US 319) take US 319 north (toward Tallahassee) for 3.2 miles to the entrance to the Leon Sinks Geological Site in the Apalachicola National Forest. It is located on the left (west) side of US 319. Description: 5.9 miles of marked, interpreted trail running past Longleaf Pine forest, Gum Tree swamps, sinkholes, swales, caverns, a natural bridge, streams, and depressions. Excellent presentation of the area’s unique geology known as Karst Topography. This term is applied to terrain in which rain and groundwater have dissolved underlying limestone bedrock over long periods of time, leading to collapsed surface formations, which often are then filled with water. Good variety of trees especially in spring when dogwood and magnolias are in bloom.
Activities: Hiking, wildlife viewing, photography.
Facilities: Interpretive kiosk, restrooms, picnic tables, interpretive trails, viewing platforms.
Minimum time to allow: One hour.
Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. daily.
Contact: P: 850-926-3561
Side Trip: Crawfordville
Directions: From the intersection of Bloxham Cutoff (SR 267) and Crawfordville Highway (US 319) on the Byway, take US 319 south 5 miles to the town of Crawfordville, the county seat of Wakulla County.
Points of Interest: Historic Courthouse. The wooden vernacular-style courthouse in Crawfordville was designed by G. W. Tully and constructed in 1892-93. It is said to be the oldest wood-frame courthouse still in use in Florida. In 1948 it was relocated one block away from its original site and now houses the Wakulla County Chamber of Commerce. The old Jail stands across the street. After renovation is completed it will house the museum and genealogical archives of the Wakulla County Historical Society.